Daniel Ramirez Sues Samsung After Exploding Galaxy Edge S7 Causes 3rd Degree Burns

Daniel Ramirez was referred to a Samsung service center in Laredo, Texas for repairs on his Galaxy Edge S7. The phone burst into flames during the repair and he sustained 3rd degree burns to his legs, hands and chest that required multiple surgeries. After being denied compensation by Samsung through insurance policies, Mr. Ramirez filed suit against them alleging negligence resulting in bodily harm.

A man in California is suing Samsung after his Galaxy S7 Edge exploded and caused 3rd degree burns. Daniel Ramirez alleges that the phone was defective when it was bought at a Best Buy store. Read more in detail here: samsung s7 release date.

Daniel Ramirez Sues Samsung After Exploding Galaxy Edge S7 Causes 3rd Degree Burns



Daniel Ramirez was working as a construction worker in an Ohio bookshop when his Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge caught fire in his pocket, suffering second and third-degree burns.

The event happened on May 30th, three months before Samsung issued a recall for 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 phones due to a battery problem that might cause fires.

On behalf of Mr. Ramirez, ClassAction.com lawyers have filed a product liability case against Samsung, marking the first time a lawsuit has been brought over a Galaxy smartphone battery fire.


Mr. Ramirez's underwearMr. Ramirez’s underwear

3rd degree burns Galaxy EdgeThe leg of Mr. Ramirez after surgery

Despite the fact that Samsung has not yet issued a recall for the S7 Edge, we are urging the business to address the safety of the S7 Edge batteries in light of the tragic injuries caused by at least one of their phones.

Anyone whose Samsung smartphone caught fire and caused burns is encouraged to request a free case evaluation.

The Samsung Complaint may be seen here.

FAA Issues Recall Due to Battery Fires

On Friday, September 2nd, Samsung recalled its flagship smartphone, the Galaxy Note 7, in 10 countries, including the United States, barely two weeks after it was released.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly warned travelers not to use, charge, or even store Galaxy Note 7 phones on domestic flights on Thursday, September 8. Australian and Singaporean airlines have gone even farther, prohibiting passengers from using or charging their phones while in flight.

Samsung conducted an internal study after receiving hundreds of reports of phones catching fire, which uncovered a battery problem that affects around 1 in 42,000 handsets.

“I got home from work and placed [the Note 7] on charge for a few minutes before class. When I went to wear it around my waist, it caught fire.”

At a press conference, Koh Dong-in, president of Samsung’s mobile division, said, “There was a little fault in the production process, so it was really tough to find out.”

Although no injuries have been recorded as a result of the Note 7 battery fires, social media users have shared near calls.

According to the Associated Press, a 34-year-old South Korean teacher published her experience and a photo of her charred phone on a popular online forum, stating, “If the exploding phone had burned near my head, I would not have been able to make this post.” Her burnt phone was said to have emitted toxic fumes throughout the room.

According to Yonhap News in Korea, there were five reports of the Note 7 exploding while charging within the first week of its release.

In the United States, Note 7 owner Ariel Gonzalez shared a YouTube video of his scorched and melted phone, warning other users to “Be careful out there.” Gonzalez says he “I got home from work and placed [the Note 7] on charge for a few minutes before class. When I went to wear it around my waist, it caught fire.”

The injury to Daniel Ramirez should prompt a closer examination of the S7 Edge.

While owners of the Galaxy Note 7 have been spared significant harm due to battery fires, Daniel Ramirez of the Galaxy S7 Edge has not been so fortunate.

Ramirez, a resident of Tracy, California, acquired his Galaxy S7 Edge on March 11, 2016, at a Best Buy shop in Modesto, California. As part of his employment with National Property Solutions Group, he was in Akron, Ohio, for a building project (NPSG).

Ramirez started work on May 30, 2016, with his S7 Edge in his right front pocket, according to a lawsuit complaint filed by ClassAction.com lawyers. He heard his phone whistling, screaming, and vibrating, as well as flames pouring from his pocket, not long after.

Ramirez’s right hand was burned when he reached into his pocket to retrieve the phone. While remaining in his trousers pocket, the S7 Edge burst and caught fire, melting his boxer shorts and jeans to his leg, leaving him with second and third-degree burns. He has serious and irreversible burn injuries to his crotch, legs, and lower back, which necessitated major skin transplant surgery and would need ongoing physical therapy.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is a smartphone from Samsung.The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is a smartphone from Samsung.

Mr. Ramirez has had many skin transplants.Mr. Ramirez has had many skin transplants.

The recalled Galaxy Note 7 and Galaxy S7 Edge have just minor cosmetic variations. According to the website Android Authority, the Galaxy Note 7 features a 3,500 mAh battery, compared to the S7 Edge’s 3,600 mAh battery.

The damaged Note 7 battery is made by Samsung’s SDI business, according to the company. ClassAction.com has contacted Samsung to see whether the bigger battery in the S7 Edge is likewise manufactured by Samsung SDI.

In recent years, lithium ion batteries, like as those used in Galaxy phones, have been the focus of debate. Power supplies, which power everything from computers to phones to automobiles and aircraft, have been linked to fires and explosions involving Dell laptops, Boeing passenger flights, Tesla vehicles, hoverboards, and electronic cigarettes.

Free Case Evaluation

In the wake of the Samsung Galaxy recall, ClassAction.com is seeking damages.

Samsung has announced that users of the Galaxy Note 7 may exchange their damaged phone for a Samsung Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge as part of the recall. However, Ramirez’s injuries indicate that this is similar to switching one exploding phone for another.

As word of Mr. Ramirez’s tragic injuries spreads, ClassAction.com expects Samsung to address the safety of its S7 Edge batteries in the coming days. We’re particularly curious whether the same production issue that caused the Note 7 battery explosions also affects the S7 Edge. If this is the case, an extended Galaxy recall should be announced right now to protect consumers from additional danger.

Please fill out a case review form to report a Samsung Galaxy that has caught fire and to learn about your legal alternatives.